Re: [SEL] New Engine Acquisition (Hercules - Economy 1½ HP)

Glenn A Karch glenn.karch at gte.net
Mon Oct 3 09:55:19 PDT 2005

Francis,

The cam gear has a pointed mark cast at the rim.  That mark lines up with
the crankshaft key for proper timing.

The most pressure on the cam gear teeth is when it pushes the exhaust valve
open.  The rest of the time, the pressure is minimal so where the teeth are
broken at has to do with how good of a repair you need to make.

Glenn

Glenn Karch
Haubstadt, IN, USA
Hercules Historian