[SEL] Fun Saturday with old iron!

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Nov 16 11:29:01 PST 2005

Duncan Denman wrote:

> Hi Curt,
>
> During the course of the year, I save up all the limb wood I can
> (stuff smaller than five inches in dia.) and have day of sawing with my
> 3 HP Fairbanks Morse belted up to my buzz saw and saw up limb wood.
> Much easier to do the small stuff that way than using a chainsaw.

Duncan,
And I find it to be much safer and faster too. As you know a 3" limb is
cut thru in the blink of an eye.
I used to use the 6HP Herc buzz saw for this but then painted it all
shiny. It's working days are done for a while....at least 'till the
paint dulls.
Once I got the 8HP Famous going it would be hard to go back to using the
Herc. There is no comparison. Though the Herc worked well it moved
around as it is built lighter than the IHC. On the other hand the Famous
is a rock solid buzz saw. There is no flexing of the saw table or any of
the parts supporting the belt. It would be interesting to know the
difference in the original selling prices as there is a real difference
in the original quality!
Curt