[SEL] Early Galloway trucks re-visited..possibly some new light

Rick Rowlands jrrowlands at neo.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 13:37:48 PST 2005

The finishing stand of the mill had the name ground into the roll in reverse
so that when that part of the roll made the final squeeze on the steel shape
the name would also get put on.  The name was repeated every so many feet,
depending upon the size of the mill.  Mills are rated by roll diameter, so
take the diameter and find the circumference and you'll find the spacing of
the names.

Embossing company Identification on steel shapes is extremely common around
here, but then again I live in the industrial ground zero of America.
Railroad rail has quite a bit of data rolled into the side of it aside from
the manufacturer's identification.  By looking at the markings I can tell
you what size rail it is, its weight per foot, month and year it was rolled,
plant it was rolled at, if it had any special heat treatment and then by
looking on the otherside of the rail I could give you the heat number.

Rick