[SEL] Video Editing Software

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Wed Nov 2 06:36:49 PST 2005

Hi Folks,

Since we sometimes do take video of running engines, this isn't totally
off topic.  I'm looking for suggestions from those of you who have
experience with video editing software.

What I have are high-res .avi files that are the video captured using my
SnakeEye camera during power plant walk downs captured to a Sony GV-D1000
digital video cassette recorder.  When off loaded to the PC the files are
big (10 min. video is 2.2 GB).  Size isn't really the issue, but the dreck
is.  There's a LOT on the video that I need to cut out as it adds zero
value and really gets in the way.

I downloaded an evaluation copy of AVS Video Editor.
http://www.avsmedia.com/

It works well for the capture part of the process, but (so far) has proven
to not be useful for editing (despite the name).

I also have an interest in capturing stills from the video.
Any suggestions there?

I'm not looking to be a sophisticated movie maker, I don't need glitzy
transitions or special effects.  I just want to be able to cut sections
out to keep and join up with other sections or toss into the bit bucket;
depending on what they are.

Please reply off-list if you feel that the info won't be useful to the
general list readership.  Thanks.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA