[SEL] Cracked

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Tue Nov 1 21:14:29 PST 2005

Hi All, Excuse my ignorance but what is a "yellow dog". We don't
celebrate Haloween here! Regards Jerry in S.A.
=        =        =        =        =        =        =        =

Hi Jerry,
Sorry for not getting back sooner.
I just got in and am now reading e-mails.

On Halloween we decorate the front yard and kids dress up in costume and
go door-to-door and ask for
treats (candy).  (You probably know that.)

In my display I use 2 Yellow Dog Lanterns - Among other stuff.
(You can go to my Webshots Album and look under "Toys" - page 3 - and
there is a Yellow Dog Lantern
close to the bottom picture.
It is a 2 spouted lantern (similar to a large "Tea Pot")  used on the oil
wells for light.
They are said to have gotten the name Yellow Dog because - when lit - and
from a distance - they looked like
the 2 yellow eyes of a dog.  I have also heard that they were painted
Yellow and got the name that way.
But - I've never seen a yellow one.
They were also used as "Babbit Pots" depending on what way the wire
handle was located.
Check out the "Toys" - page 3 - in my Webshots.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com   - - -     www.oldengine.org/members/betz
 ,-._,-.         "When law enforcement isn't available, Americans turn to
the one
 \/)"(\/         right that protects all others - The Right to Keep and
Bear Arms."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz