[SEL] Cracked

Jim and Diane jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 16:56:49 PST 2005

Hi Jerry,

A yellow dog is a type of lantern or lamp that was used in the oil fields in
the eastern part of the U.S.  It is made of cast iron and is sort of like a
pitcher with two spouts.  Each spout has a wick and the pot was filled with
crude oil.  When burning the light has a yellow cast  They were also used
for other things besides lamps, I have heard of using them to melt and pour
babbitt and they probably became coffee pots on occasion.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
Hemet, CA
jd.kirkes at verizon.net