[SEL] Roll Back Gooseneck

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri May 13 10:15:22 PDT 2005

> Howdy from rainy Mt.:
> Could we discuss the advantages/disadvantages of using a
> roll-back gooseneck trailer for hauling our old engines please?
>
> What I could imagine is that one benefit would be the
> recovery of a big engine on the ground.
>
> Disadvantage...loading and unloading multiple engines or
> engines on
> trucks could be a real PITA.

Hi Rick,
Do you mean a "tilt-bed trailer?"  A lot of guys have 'em and like 'em.  Some
are gravity powered, some have a buffer system, others are hydraulically
powered.

The type of trailer that I'd REALLY like I don't know the name for.  It's
hydraulically operated and the bed does a curtsey onto the ground.  No tilt.
Flat.  Way cool.  You only need to lift the engine the thickness of the deck and
you can easily load multiple engines.

You've already pointed out the obvious benefits and disadvantages of the tilt
bed.  The only thing I'd add is that all trailers need a winch up front.

Rob