[SEL] Hot tube material

George & Norma Armstrong gnarmstrong at netnitco.net
Mon May 2 15:05:32 PDT 2005

Steve,
  Oddly the tube does not act like a glow plug but rather acts as a small
ignition chamber as the gas/air mixture is driven into it by the piston.
The length of the hot tube determines the timeing  of the engine so you may
not want to use a "short stub" of a tube.  The tubes we use on a Pattin, a
Reid and a Bessemer vary from 5" to 6" in length and some of them we use are
stainless tubing with a screwed on stainless cap; items that should be
easily purchased.  Ours are from a local steel mill which uses these items
in their coke batteries and continuous casters.  They work very well.
George