[SEL] Need Help with 1-1/2 HP Petter

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 19:18:11 PST 2005

Jeff, I better send you a new set of pictures tomorrow showing you what it
looks like now which is not good. The large end of the gib key broke off and
I have tried three times to weld a bolt to what is left but the weld always
breaks before the key comes out. I have turned the engine on it's side with
the flywheel with the stuck gib key up in the air. I then doused it real
good with some more Kroil penetrating oil. Since I no longer have a tab on
the end of the broken gib I was thinking about getting a square nut and
position it on top of the broken gib key, position it so that one flat side
is parallel to the face of the flywheel and then weld this nut to the top of
the broken key. In other words I am making a new tab in order to try and use
the gib key puller to get it out. If this fails then I am going to start
trying to drill it out and collapse it like Reg said by rocking the flywheel
against it.

I will take some new pictures tomorrow and send them out so you, and
everyone else, can see my present situation which is worse but I am not
giving up.

Thanks for all of the help.

Paul