[SEL] Need Help with 1-1/2 HP Petter

Larry Anger junkmeister2002 at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 23 18:58:37 PST 2005

Paul - I have had success every time by drilling and tapping a hole in the end of the key and using a slide hammer to pull the key. Use as large as possible size bolt to pull with. Use extreme care to get the hole drilled in the center of the key.

Larry Anger.

Paul Maples <paulmaples at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Ok Gang, as usual I am stuck and need the help and wisdom of all of the engine czar's. I am working on my little 1-1/2 HP Petter Apple Top engine, it is 99% complete, runs, but is missing the brass governor shoe that runs in the governor collar. Roland Craven has graciously offered to make one for me but he needs the dimensions of the collar that the shoe runs in. I am was able to get a measurement of the collar on the engine and determined that from the top to the bottom of the collar there was a .015 to .020 taper. Roland ask me to remove the collar and have someone true it up and then send him the dimensions.

I got the starting dog and governor cover (sauce pan) off fairly easy but have been working for a week trying to get the gib key out of the flywheel so I can get to the collar. I have been applying Kroil penetrating oil to it for over a week. I have an original gib key removal tool and have been trying it but I am about to clip off the tang on the gib key by applying so much pressure and it still has not moved. I am about to fire up the blue wrench but hate to put heat on a flywheel hub.

I am open to any suggestions to get this key out. Here are some pictures of the engine and gib key I am working on.

http://client.webshots.com/photo/303593896/303593896UaQekG

Paul