[SEL] Showing engines or not.

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Mar 10 06:02:57 PST 2005

Hi Jeff,

Our club does a few shows that are "our shows", we run 'em and we keep
most of the revenue.  We attend a few more "as a club" where the
sponsoring organization pays us some amount to show up with the
understanding that we will bring a lot of the "club equipment" (grain
grinding, saw mill, shingle mill, etc.).  Many of the club members also
exhibit their own engines, tractors, and equipment.  Since there is
expense and non-trivial effort in getting the club equipment to a show,
manned for the duration, brought back to the club grounds, and cleaned and
maintained for the next outing, we don't accept every invite to a show.
The board of directors decides each year which invitations we'll accept as
a club.

However, individuals go to whichever shows suit their interests and
schedules.  Most club members do try and give priority to the "sanctioned"
club events.

You imply that your club has equipment above and beyond what individuals
bring.  Are you thinking that "someone" should take that gear to every
show that puts in a request and that there is no cost in making that
happen?  I'm guessing that you aren't the guy who does that.

I think the answer is easy.  As a club you decide what you'll do "as a
club" and who makes those decisions.  If those charged with that decision
making choose not to attend, so be it.  Announce the event to the
membership at large, and those who have an interest and the free time
attend even though "the club" declined the invitation.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Jeff Allen wrote:

> At the risk of pissing off some of the club or board members of my club,
> I decided to make this post. Quite honestly I don't know if any of them
> are on either list. I sure do want some opinions, and hell, at least
> it's on topic.

<snip>