[SEL] Onan Genny spares

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:07:31 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:51:01 -0500, Tod Engine
<todengine at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> We have a 4 cylinder Onan 10kw genset here which either is going to be sold
> or rebuilt.  If you have some parts which we could use our opinions of the
> machine may swing toward rebuilding it.  What size was your genset?
>
> Rick Rowlands

Hi Rick:

I cannot remember the rating, it was single phase 240V, a bit unusual
for 1940's Onan kit. 10kW sounds about right though, and it was
electric start from memory.

The rotor in the genny needed a rebuild as the asbestos packing pieces
for the coils were disintegrating and we were being quoted big $$'s
for the work. The engine was seized solid, the carb was a mass of rust
and so on.

I have some pictures of a similar set somewhere, I'll try and find
them, also there is an envelope with some connection info on the
control panel that had been made when it was stripped down, I kept
that as well.

What is in the box are the meters and control gear, we also still have
the bare control panel and the engine bell housing and maybe the
cooling fan for the genny, and I think I saw the water pump body for
the Conti (Y91?) engine.

We bought manuals for the engine in the US, it was this search for
information that led to my first contact with Jim Dunmyer and
Oldengine.org, the rest as they say is history :-))

I see that Alan Bowen has also asked about the parts, perhaps you two
could liaise over this and share shipping costs etc?

Oh, and there is also a distributor which the late Tom Mackay got for
me, I collected that when we went to Oz in 1997.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com