[SEL] Natural Gas Leak Repair O.T.

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Fri Mar 4 16:34:05 PST 2005

Hi List,
Yesterday, our local gas company were doing their periodic gas leak  checks.
They found the line going to our house was leaking.  We had a  similar
problem about ten ago.  In a matter of minutes, a repair crew  arrived at my home.
They hooked up an electronic sniffer and located where  the line was located
on my property and in the street.  I was envisioning a  trencher coming to dig
up the leaking line.  However, I was wrong.
The house meter was disconnected and a temporary gas supply  was connected to
provide gas while they were working to get rid of the leak.  The first thing
after they dug up the area (about 3' x 3' x3') where  my gas line interfaced
with the street main was to heat the house line and pinch  it with a hydraulic
snubber.  This action cutoff gas flow to the  house.  Next, the house line was
cut about 6" from the pinched area.   Then, the end of pipe connecting to the
main was gas welded.  A  modified valve was then gas welded to the gas main.
Somehow, the  workers were able to insert a plastic line into the existing
house  gas line.  This new line was sealed at the meter interface and  connected
to the modified valve.  Then, this new line along with  the modified valve
was pressurized to leak check the new plastic line,  meter interface, and new
welded joint.   Since the plastic line  broke the electrical continuity between
the gas main and the house line, a  ground wire was installed from the old
metal line and the gas main.  The  final tie in to the gas main was made through
the modified valve.  A  cutting tool was inserted into the modified valve to
drill through the welded  joint to allow gas to flow through the new line.  All
this work was done on  a pressurized system.
Watching the gas personnel do this repair, reminded of a similar  incident
that happen many years ago when my grandfather had city water  service
installed.  I recall that a similar device was used to hook up the  service line to the
water main.  Instead of a welded valve,  a saddle valve was installed on the
water main in the street.  Then,  the workers drilled into the water main
through the valve body.  After  penetrating the water main the drill was removed
and the valve was closed.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA