[SEL] OT Computer Problems

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:42:04 PST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:02:54 -0600, Gary Epps <garyepps at fidnet.com> wrote:
> Can anyone offer some help?  Last night I downloaded an update for
> Mozilla Firefox.  This and thus far today I can't access the internet.
> I get a message "can't locate start.mozilla.org" or "can't locate
> fidnet.com (or whatever site I am trying to access)"
>
> I have tried IE as well as Opera and get the message "can't locate
> fidnet.com"  even when I have accessed fidnet to download email with
> Mozilla Thunderbird.
>
> What do I need to do?  Help!
>
> Gary

Somewhere in your PC there is a section called "Network & Dial-Up Connections".

In there should be the dial-up connection that you use to access
anything on the internet. If you are on DSL then most of it won't
apply.

The browsers need to know how to handle dial-up or other connections,
and that section of your Operating System tells them how.

Firefox doesn't have a lot in the Options section, but if they all
fall over, it is a common point which should be in there.

If you need to, look into the connection, right click it and click on
properties and have a look through. Most of the stuff is pretty
standard.

DSL users don't need that at all as the system is already on, so don't
go changing too much until you know what is broke.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com