[SEL] What was your best engine trip?

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 10:51:56 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/3/2005 12:36:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
George_Best at adp.com writes:

<< I've been disappointed that hardly anyone has shared their engine trip
 stories. >>

George,

I got the bright idea one day that I needed to go way up in the mountains of
West Virginia not too far from Sistersville and retrieve a stationary hay
baler.  This was during a period that I thought all antique junk iron should
reside on our farm, no matter what its use or condition.  This drive was about 6
hours from here.  Not having a large truck at that time, I borrowed my neighbors
Ford F250 diesel and a trailer.  Millie and I left at 5 am Friday morning and
arrived later that morning safely in the mountains.  It was 100% humidity and
about 94 deg F.  Almost got heat exhaustion getting things loaded and we
headed out of the mountains.  Got to a main road and stopped to check things.
Noted transmission fluid leaking on ground.  Made it to a service station a
number of miles down the road, filled up transmission, then made it to a Ford
dealer early afternoon.  Unhooked trailer and they checked everything in their
shop.  I had a transmission seal turning loose, but not real bad at that moment.
But if I continued to haul the heavy load it was sure to turn loose.  Talked
the dealer into letting me leave the trailer load of junk on his lot, but he
made me hide it on the far backside.  Bought some transmission fluid,
flashlight, and pulled into home at 12 that night.  Got up Saturday early, made
arrangements to borrow another truck, but it had no electrical brake hookup for
trailer.  Went to town and had them installed and Millie and I pulled out again at
11am.  Got to the Ford Dealer in West Virginia just before they closed and
locked gates.  Hooked up, bought a milkshake, and headed for home. It was a load
for the older F150 truck, so on the hills of W.Va., it would over heat and I
would open windows, cut heater wide open to help keep engine cool.  This while
the temp was around 90!  Got home around midnight again.  The baler sits in the
back now with the other junk.

During the trip home we had to drive the West Va. Turnpike and stop to at
tool booths every so often.  The baler had a tree growing up thru it.  The ticket
agents would look at it, shake their heads, collect my money and let me
thru!!!

Millie said that was the last time she was going with me anywhere junk
hauling except for local trips!!!!

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com