[SEL] Kerosene

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Fri Jun 24 04:56:42 PDT 2005

Hi Rob,
The refineries did have published definitions of the fuels they produced
- but these have changed dramatically over time. The FAQ entry on Fuel
Types is an example of the types at two moments in time in the 1930s and
the late 1960s.
http://www.steamengine.com.au/ic/faq/fueltypes.html

Out of interest, some engines came with fuel ordering information to
have the fuel made to order - I cannot imagine that any customer beyond
huge ones like railways and later trucking companies could have gotten
away with this.

Even today the modern product we consider as Gasoline / Petrol varies
widely from bowser to bowser. In Australia the Octane rating is
regulated, but the content of the fuel makeup is not except that if
alcohol is included it must be stated on the bowser.

Paul

pjp at steamengine.com.au
Emerald, Victoria, Australia
www.steamengine.com.au