[SEL] Paint and primer

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu Jul 14 04:53:42 PDT 2005

Jeff,
Ted Brookover has stated he paints his engines with straight color, no
primer. This certainly eliminates a lot of the chipping problems.
Food for thought however. If you do any assembly of parts prior to
spraying, this method would leave unpainted areas under those parts that
can rust and weep rust stains. If you like the idea of eliminating the
primer you could alway "cut in" those areas that would be covered or
hidden prior to assembly. Assemble the engine, scotchbrite what you can
and spray the entire engine.
Personally I blast and spray all the individual parts with a 2 part
primer that is as durable and is as rust preventing as any top coat.
Since it takes me forever to put anything together, this gives excellent
rust prevention in this wet/humid climate until I can get the engine
assembled to the point where it is ready for color.
For engines I am slicking I'll do as above with primer but will cut in
areas with color before assembling. On this link the top 2 or 3 photos
show this.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/6Hercules/Memorialweekend/Weekend.html>
The 6HP Herc shown turned out pretty decent.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
P.S. Trade your dry 98°F for our sticky 95°F / 76° F wet bulb temps.