[SEL] Speed limiter

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Sun Jan 9 09:47:42 PST 2005

G'day Jack and All-

   Used to have one of those elevator brakes years ago. This is kind of
along the same idea, but this device has no actual braking capability,
it simply disconnects the output shaft from the input shaft when the
speed gets too high, hence the "speed limiter" reference. There's
nothing to slow anything down. This would kind of answer Leroy's
response in that there's no braking involved. The only harm that I could
envision from running it off an engine (or any power source), is to have
the spring tension too high and allow the flyballs to spin too fast. Not
my idea of fun! I think John hit the nail on the head using the term
"Speed Governor". If the flyballs were hinged differently, it would be a
true centrifugal clutch as we know it, engaging when the speed was high
enough. This does just the opposite. Thanks John for the King books
heads-up, I'll check those. Thanks too, Steve, for the picture. Sure
looks like the same critter. Most of the sheet metal had been cut off of
this one, so I was thinking of going back with large expanded metal to
keep it safe, yet allow the goodies to be seen. Thanks Arnie, the more
monkey motion, the better!

- Steve

--
Steve Gray