[SEL] Re: Literature on Old Engine - Ethics Question

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 00:37:26 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:25:02 +0000, Jim French <fbi at insulate.co.uk> wrote:
> Did someone call?
> Flame Mistress at your service.

<snipped>

> OK, now it's a lovely frosty morning and I'm going to take my coffee outside and >sit in the hot tub.
>
> Anyone know if Nomex is waterproof??
>
> Dolly

Hi Helen:

Nice to hear from you after a long absence...

You have raised another issue which I did want to bring up, but was a
bit involved with the other thread, that of copying web-based material
and then trying to sell it on ebay or whatever. Internal Fire has been
the victim of this a few times now, and I think this has retarded
efforts to make material available on the web.

Most of us would be happy to offer decent copies of material for
people to use for their own purposes, but not for those people to rush
out and make up a CD to sell on ebay. There are plenty of those sort
of people around as Paul has found out.

We spend a lot of time and money buying original copies, scanning them
and then cleaning them up so they can be printed out by users for
their own use, but the lack of any decent means of protecting them
from the unscrupulous has so far stopped us putting them up for the
engine guys to use.

That is now being addressed by two companies, and Digimarc are also
now apparently able to offer protection against right-clicking on an
image and saving it, so we may see the end of this particular problem.
I don't care how many times someone downloads images of manuals that
we have prepared and put on our web site, I just object to them taking
them away and trying to make money out of them.

Adobe also are working on better protection in Acrobat, and a
combination of the two may see us able to release a lot more
information on the website. We do it for fun, there is no return for
us, other than the occasional 'thank you' which is always nice to
hear, so it would be nice to be able to expand the information base.

Unfortunately, we suffer like Paul with complete sections of our
website being copied and used elsewhere, so we have spent more time
this past year or so looking for better security before we put more
stuff up.

Not too frosty here, but we had snow last night when we were up the
field feeding the nags...

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes