[SEL] Re: Literature on Old Engine - Ethics Question

Jim French fbi at insulate.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 23:25:02 PST 2005

Did someone call?
Flame Mistress at your service.
Those of us who've done it know that to copy a manual takes a fair amount of time and effort.  It's
very generous of people who've done it to give access to that material to others who either can't get
a copy of an original or don't want it for the "old paper" value, but rather for the material
contained within it.
I think we have to put Paul Evans alongside Hit 'n Miss, Lee Pederson etc.  They do a lot for the
hobby, and it really is unfair to copy and resell what they've done, or even copy and reissue.  You
can't say "well it's for sale on eBay, so it must be okay" because eBay does nothing to protect
copyright.  Then again, we're not talking copyright here, but abuse of someone's efforts.
So, I think my stand on this would be that if a manual is obviously from one of the major literature
sellers (and with the Internal Fire literature, people would just have to be honest), couldn't the
manuals on Oldengine.org be replaced with a link to the original seller, then at least those looking
for a particular piece of literature would be sent in the right direction?  This manual is available
from ... etc.
I don't think it's an issue worth starting a flame war over.  It's all about personal ethics, because
none of this stuff is copyrighted anyway.  If you feel that Starbolt etc DON'T have any rights to the
material once they've sold it, then YOU copy it and put it up on YOUR website.  Those who feel that's
wrong, don't download it.  Scan your original manuals (not sold within the old engine trade) and put
them up on the web, then buy your other manuals from the sellers.  That way, everyone is happy.
OK, now it's a lovely frosty morning and I'm going to take my coffee outside and sit in the hot tub.
Anyone know if Nomex is waterproof??

Dolly

--
Jim French