[SEL] sorta O/T but safety related and bizarre

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Feb 22 06:57:04 PST 2005

I can't believe anyone would actually jack a vehicle by the hitch anyway.
I'd never even think of it. I go straight to the differential and don't
use blocks.
Those blocks can tip and slide - yes, I've watched a fellow dump his car
when that happened to him. As the vehicle raises, the angle on those
blocks increases - he was a lucky one - he was not yet under it.
I also know a local fellow who was crushed under his car pulling a similar
stunt. His young son went to get him for supper, except papa had already
had his last meal. Junior will never forget THAT sight.

What's keeping those blocks there? You aren't exactly pushing straight up
with that setup.
It's plain dangerous - even with good tight balls......

(oh, my - can't wait to see DAVE's COMMENTS!)

We've had MANY long discussions on this same thing in another forum - wow,
the things people do to raise and "support" their cars while working on
them. 3,000 pounds of metal, glass and plastic and people don't think of
it as more than a 100.

Bill

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:08:23 -0700, Richard Strobel
> <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
>> Howdy all;
>>  Went to put new shocks on my newly acquired Landcruiser.  Put the floor
>> jack under the trailer ball:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/267622410/279540064rNbdde
>>
>> and look what happened after a couple of pumps on the jack handle:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/279538561/279538561ClfHSm
>>
>> Popped right out.  This is the type of ball that mounts with a bolt.
>>
>> Conside
ring myself damn lucky today!!!!!!!!!