[SEL] sorta O/T but safety related and bizarre

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 00:01:30 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:08:23 -0700, Richard Strobel
<Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
> Howdy all;
>  Went to put new shocks on my newly acquired Landcruiser.  Put the floor
> jack under the trailer ball:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/267622410/279540064rNbdde
>
> and look what happened after a couple of pumps on the jack handle:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/279538561/279538561ClfHSm
>
> Popped right out.  This is the type of ball that mounts with a bolt.
>
> Considering myself damn lucky today!!!!!!!!!
>
> RickinMt.

That looks like there should have been a large plate/washer between
the bolt head and the bracket as Dave said. Very lucky that it hasn't
come out before!

We use the two-hole fixing type balls (!) over here in the UK and
Europe, but an occasional check on the bolts (2 X 5/8" UNF) is always
worthwhile. The new van has covered nearly 25000 miles since Sept 26th
last year, and I'll be picking up the turret mill we bought on ebay
this week, so a quick spanner check is in order, and that goes for the
trailer coupling as well....

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes