[SEL] springs

James Wiley jlwiley123 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 06:21:55 PST 2005

Arnie suggested I post the specs of the springs to the list - in case someone might have a spring catalog
or extra springs laying around, so here goes:

1)  Auxiliary & Injection Pump Plunger Spring FM part number YHA260A7
     Minimum Inside Diameter                    1"
     Maximum Outside Diameter                   1 9/32"
     Free Length                                5 1/4"
     Minimum Working Length                     3 15/16"
     Scale per inch                             15# +/- 6%
     Section                                    Round
     Ends                                       Closed and Ground
     Coiled                                     Either hand
     Finish                                     Plain or Natural
     Pulsation                                  325 per minute
     When spring is completely compressed it should measure not more than 2 1/2"
     20# load at 3 15/16" long
     39 1/2# load at 2 5/8" long
     .128" Piano wire, 18 3/4 totals coils

2)  Injection Pump Suction Valve Push Rod Spring FM Part number YHA628A4
     Minimum Inside Diameter                    29/32"
     Maximum Outside Diameter                   1 1/16"
     Free Length                                5 1/2"
     Minimum Working Length                     3"
     Load in Place                              6# +/- 6%
     Length in Place                            3 3/8"
     Scale per inch                             2 7/8# +/- 6%
     Section                                    Round
     Ends                                       Closed and Ground
     Coiled                                     Either Hand
     Finish                                     Natural
     22 total coils

I just noticed that the wire size for spring 2 is not specified - I don't know if the other information
is enough to figure that out.  In the drawing, the wire looks to be about half the size of spring 1.
Both spring drawings have a note that says the springs should be heat treated in Boiling Water for 1 hour.
I have the drawing scanned and in JPEG form if anyone would like to see them.  I started to post them to
my web site, but wasn't sure if that would be ok with FM...

Thanks

James