[SEL] Boners and goofs

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Apr 27 07:42:18 PDT 2005

It's been a while since we did this, so it might be fun to tell funny
stories of those engine goofs we've made recently.

Ya know what I'm talking about. That hour you spent trouble shooting an
ignitor and coil system only to find you had a dead battery or that
"stuck" check ball that kept that non-existing gasoline from getting to
your mixer. Or perhaps something you put together wrong.....

Mine? Early on in the hobby I was reassembling the governor on my 6HP
Herc. The two spindles inside are separated by a ball bearing. Instead
of assembling it spindle/ball bearing/spindle, I assembled it
spindle/spindle/ballbearing. It was running good 'till the ball dropped
out. Luckily I was in the shop because in about 3 hits the darned thing
was nearing a dangerous speed. A quick grab of the spark plug wire saved it.

Come on.....let's hear 'em.....funny or scary.....

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC