[SEL] Please critique

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Apr 15 04:08:36 PDT 2005

Curt, the machining operation looks fine to me. When I machined my pistons I chucked them from the land side and centered the inside as you did. I then faced the end and chamfered, rough machined inside and out. Turn the piston around, chuck the machined bottom of the skirt with the squared face against the chuck, drill a center hole on the top. Remove the piston, install a piece of stock in the chuck and machine a cone on it to mate against the chamfer on the skirt of the piston. The piston can be turned by using a live center to hold it against the cone, a friction cut, between centers. It can be cut all the way across without removing, and you can remove and intall it without having to recenter it.
J.B. Castagnos