[SEL] how do you tie down?

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Wed Apr 13 08:35:31 PDT 2005

For most of my hauling I use plain ole grade 70 binder chain and chain
binders.  After traveling a few miles, I'll stop and check the chains
and retighten anything that has shifted.

I like the security and strength of the binder chains.  Only problem
with using chains is that it can be difficult securing things with fancy
paint jobs you don't want any marks on.  In cases where I have to run a
chain over a painted part I'll stuff some old rags under the chain or
sometimes use a piece of wood.

One of the things I like about chain is that it doesn't flap or vibrate
in the wind like a strap will do.

I also have an assortment of the ratchet straps, but mostly use those
for smaller engines or parts.

Back to chain binders......

I have both the classic lever load binders and the lever load binders
with the coil spring tensioner.  The binders with the coil springs are
nice when securing a load that has no give to it. When you tighten a
chain with the standard lever binder, something has to give or stretch
or you won't be able operate the lever on the binder.  If your load has
no give, using the coil spring binder provides the amount of give you
need without bending your trailer or stretching the chain.

I've never used the ratchet type of binder but can see where they would
make tightening a chain easier in not having to make one link at a time
adjustments which isn't always easy with a standard binder and a
non-giving load.

George