[SEL] A Day at the Magneto Shop

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 17:49:46 PDT 2005

Hi List,
Today was one of those memorable days.  The J magneto on  the other Fairbanks
Morse ZD wasn't producing a spark.  After checking it  out at home, it seemed
that coil was bad or the rotating magnets needed  charging.  After talking to
the magneto man (Burt), he suggested that I  bring to his shop.  He verified
that the coil wasn't up to snuff and he  recharged the magnets.  Luckily, Burt
had a used coil and I got it.   He told me that he hasn't seen one of these
early J type magnetos in a long  time.
Back at my place, I reassembled the magneto, set the points, and it  now
produces a good spark.
I am fortunate that Santa Maria has magneto shop where I can  observe someone
such as Burt diagnosis a faulty magneto.  I enjoy  spending time in the shop
and watching Burt in action.  This person is in  his early 80s and he still
operates a magneto/alternator/generator repair  facility.  Every time I go to
his shop, I learn a little bit  more.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA