[SEL] Private shows

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Apr 7 12:32:41 PDT 2005

George,

    I think there is a place for "engine folks only" get togethers.  I
don't know that they should become more predominant that the general
open to the public events however.  Sharing the interest of the old iron
goes beyond just those that collect it.  At our local show we have
several people that come each year just to watch them run, pump water,
generate electricity, etc.  They don't own engines and aren't interested
in owning the.  But, they sure like to see them once or twice a year.
Some bring the grand kids (and great grand kids) to show them how things
used to be.  If it ever came to the point that we were to limit
gatherings to only those who collect the old iron, a great bit of
history (along with the creation of future engine enthusiasts) will be
lost.  I know there is the concern over liability.  But, an "engine man"
getting his finger caught in an engine at a private get together carries
just as much liability as a spectator doing the same.  Perhaps the
eagerness to litigate would not be as strong however.  Just my 2 cents.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY