[SEL] Private shows

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 7 16:32:55 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judge Tommy Turner" <lcjudge at scrtc.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Private shows

> George,
>     I think there is a place for "engine folks only" get togethers.  I
> don't know that they should become more predominant that the general
> open to the public events however.  Sharing the interest of the old iron
> goes beyond just those that collect it.  At our local show we have
> several people that come each year just to watch them run, pump water,
> generate electricity, etc.  They don't own engines and aren't interested
> in owning the.  But, they sure like to see them once or twice a year.
> Some bring the grand kids (and great grand kids) to show them how things
> used to be.  If it ever came to the point that we were to limit
> gatherings to only those who collect the old iron, a great bit of
> history (along with the creation of future engine enthusiasts) will be
> lost.  I know there is the concern over liability.  But, an "engine man"
> getting his finger caught in an engine at a private get together carries
> just as much liability as a spectator doing the same.  Perhaps the
> eagerness to litigate would not be as strong however.  Just my 2 cents.
> Tommy Turner
> Magnolia, KY

Hi, The best I had as an unexpected show was many years ago when
a country pub landlord asked us to put an Engine show on one Sunday
in his carpark next to the pub.
The weather was bad so no public turned up but we started the engines
& took turns looking after them.
We spent most of the day talking engines & drinking beer most of the day
in the pub & the landlord  provided a free lunch as well.
A memorable day!
Dave Croft
Warrington
England