[SEL] Fairbanks Morse ZD (Salt Block/Shoe Box) Status Update

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 20:09:27 PDT 2005

Hi List,
Today we had fire.  Yes, I got one of the Fairbanks Morse ZD  running.  It
was sweet music to my ears after all the time this  engine has been idle.
Thanks to the information that various list members sent me, I was  able to
time the engine without any major problems.  When I first  received some of the
data, it didn't make sense at the time.  After getting  into guts of the
engine, every thing started to come together.
Most of the replacement parts came from "Hit &  Miss".  They were very prompt
in getting the parts to me.
I was able to use my newly refurbished valve grinder to reface  the valves.
The seats were OK and just required some lapping.   Adjusting the valve gap
required removal of the camshaft several times as I  made changes to the
adjusting shims.
Making the fuel line was an experience.  Bending the copper  tubing into the
right shape took a little time.  I finally ended up by  soldering a brass
fitting on to the small gas cap and I used an o-ring instead  of a brass
compression ferrule.  With this set up, I was to adjust the  length of the fuel line
going into the gas tank and it also allows the  easy removal of the fuel line.
The hopper was full of "junk".  The head was removed in order  to fully clean
the water passages.  The drain plug on the head was  replaced.  To remove
plug, the heat wrench had to be used.
Before firing the engine (with the crankcase cover removed), I  turned the
engine over with an electic motor to ensure that every thing was  reinstalled
correctly and functionally operating.

Again thanks to the entire list for the good information (including  OT) that
is shared with all.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA