[SEL] Semi OT - Trailer question

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Apr 5 10:31:28 PDT 2005

Not to doubt your work, but sounds like ground-loop condition.....
Double-check the grounds - disconnect the brake wire if you can and see if
the lights dim.
Wires can build resistance where they enter the terminal - especially
"crimp-on" connectors. You can get a thin layer of oxide you can't really
see down in there.
You can measure that with a voltmeter.
Turn on the load - lights for example.
Connect the meter so one lead is on a GOOD clean ground, the other on the
ground wire just ahead of the terminal or connection. Resistance in a
connection will show a voltage across that connection.

If a ground wire has a loop terminal where a bolt or screw holds it to the
frame, for example, put your meter on the frame/ground and where that wire
enters the loop terminal. Should see NO reading at all.

You are looking to measure voltage drop across a resistance. No
resistance, no voltage to measure - they both should be the same, no meter
deflection.

Bill