[SEL] Semi OT - Trailer question

John Cullom jhcullom at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 5 09:52:40 PDT 2005

Although I do use my trailer for hauling my engines & tractor - I hauled out
my 16' flatbed trailer today in preparation for summer shows, & noticed
something peculiar. All the running lights work fine, as well as the brake
lights, but when the lights are on, the electric brakes are engaging. Enough
that when I turn the lights on when pulling it, I can really feel the brakes
grabbing, so they are engaging all the way. Any ideas? I figured all the
grounds & other connections were clean & tight, since the lights worked. But
could it be a frayed wire touching the body & feeding back into the brake
wire? But that would blow the fuse, right? Got me stumped.
Thanks for the help,
John