[SEL] Northwest Indiana Show

Fred Armstrong fsarm at netnitco.net
Mon Sep 27 20:23:59 PDT 2004

Stan, I am sorry the camping fee upset you and missed visiting with you and
Larry.  The NIHPA Board realized after last years show that if we didn't do
something different, there might not be any future shows.  Several
adjustments to the operating budget were made (admission was raised from $3
to $5, the free dinner on Saturday evening was changed to a Pork Chop dinner
for a $6 donation, the free camping was changed to a $30 donation) to keep
the club solvent.  I would classify our show as a small show (I don't know
the paid attendance on Friday or Sunday but Saturday 1,218 paid) and with
members, workers, volunteers and exhibitors getting in for free, some means
are needed to fund the costs for property lease (we use a county park),
planting and harvesting demonstration crops, portable toilets, running
temporary water and electric lines to the concession area, running temporary
electric to the camping area,  security, emergency medical workers, fuel,
insurance... you get the picture.  As far as I know, two other people
complained about the camping fee.  One thing that was brought up was that
nobody should pay more than one fee.  If you are a vendor, you would pay the
vendor fee but not the camping fee.  If you are an exhibitor, you would pay
the camping fee but not the admission fee.  It's not a perfect system,
probably needs to be tweaked.  Anyone have some ideas on this?  Anyway, we
had great weather, a good inquisitive crowd and lots of fun.  Sure hope
you'll give it another chance next year.
Fred Armstrong