OT [SEL] Northwest Indiana Show

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Sep 24 08:50:35 PDT 2004

Stan,
Sorry you missed the show but good on you for exercising your objection
to the cost of the electricity. The windfall profit being made is worth
making an issue of. I've heard grumbling about these kinds of charges
especially at the Arden show. I'm not a camper that needs electrical
hookups (we are primitive in our horse trailer) but taking a look at the
numbers reveals some pretty healthy profit. Typical household electric
cost are 8 cents per kw-hr. In the peak of AC season we have a $100
electric bill for our home. That works out to 1250 kw-hrs for 30 days of
usage or 42 kw-hrs per day.
You were planning on camping for 2 or 3 days right? The $30 at a cost of
8 cents per kw-hr assumes you will use 375 kw-hrs! That's the equivalent
of my peak household power consumption during AC season for 9 DAYS! This
means they are making 3 to 4 times what the electricity is costing.
There is no way you use that much power in a simple camper even running
the small AC unit!
Reg has been instrumental in forcing directors to look at and review
costs that are out of line in Australia.
You've started the process yourself at your local show. It would be good
to follow your return trip home with a letter to the show organizers
explaining your position. You might be surprised at the results and
perhaps you and your fellow engine hobbyists will enjoy a less expensive
show next year.
Are there other shows that have electric costs that seem out of line?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC