[SEL] re: Saw Outfit Blade finish/now linseed oil

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Fri Sep 24 12:44:17 PDT 2004

Rob,

	I sometimes thin the boiled linseed oil with mineral spirits.  I've not
noticed a great difference in the finished result other than the thinned
will be a "lighter" coat.  I also have mixed a little oil based paint
with it at times to give it a tint.  For example, if you have an
original IHC Famous that has some original paint but quite a few bare
spots, a teaspoon of oxblood red oil based paint in a pint of boiled
linseed oil (thinned about 25% with mineral spirits) will make the bare
spots much less visible.  They then have a bit of a red tint to them and
blend in better.  Boiled linseed oil was used in a lot of oil based
paint at the turn of the century (the 20th) to give it gloss.  A heavy
coat will have a glossy finish.  This is another reason to make it as
thin as possible.  At times I've also used a Dupont Flattener to
somewhat kill the gloss of the linseed oil.  The best thing to do is
experiment a little and be patient.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY