[SEL] re: Saw Outfit Blade finish/now linseed oil

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Sep 24 12:10:55 PDT 2004

> Hi    Is raw linseed oil ok for wood as i have a Lister
> Kibiling Mill with some original paint and i want to protect
> the wood and paint from the rain

Hey Nick,
Linseed oil is great on wood (linseed oil finish on gun stocks).  Like the other
comments for using it on metal, boiled linseed oil will dry faster.  On wood,
especially weathered wood, you can slop it on heavier and let it soak in.  BUT,
make sure you wipe it so it ends up a thin coat on the surface.  Any degree of
thickness will turn to a gummy mess that is hard to remove.

If you check out the roller mill or orchard sprayer on our web page, both of
those have been treated with linseed oil.  The wood was originally light colored
and crumbly.  The linseed oil spiffied it right up.

Rob

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
www.rustyiron.com