[SEL] Saw Outfit Blade finish

Leroy C. oldengin at udata.com
Thu Sep 23 20:49:39 PDT 2004

  blade?

>I believe it's ~30 inches in diameter.  I've got it blasted now.
>=        =        =        =        =        =        =
>Hi Rick,
>
>I wire wheeled mine to get the heavy rust off - then kept it oiled.
>
>If you're going to use it, I wouldn't try for a real nice finish.  The
>oil gave a nice dark finish.

Rick, I would now be a little scared of the newly sandblasted blade.
Take it to an old timer and see what he tells you about it. Hammering a
blade, I though, was for blades of 48 inch or larger, seems they want to
wobble when running and hammering the blade will stop this wobble. See
you can hammer right or left handed blades and you hammer at a given
speed of the blade. Also hammering was for blades with the removable
teeth.  Now I might be wrong here as it has been over 23 years since I
last worked with the big blade and with the circular mill. My brother
has a band saw now and he cuts mostly telephone poles. If you think you
want to try this newly sandblasted blade then here is what I would try....
Install blade keep everyone and everything away from the direct line of
the blade, sharpen the teeth and start cutting small, about 3 inch,
limbs. The wood will drag at first then will start cutting easier.
Cottonwood is good to saw cause it is full of sap, cools the blade,
after about 20 minutes shut down blade and feel it for heat, it should
have a little at the blade hub, if any at all. Have you ever set a saws
kerf? I still have one of the hand tools to do this with, also we would
SWEDGE the teeth on the big mill cause you could not set kerf..  And on
a chain saw you would file the rakes..... ever see a chain saw race?
they always use a wore out chain.  We would oil the blade every so often
but not make a habit of it, if she was running hot she would get oil or
if it was to set for a long time ( hardly never happened) she would get
some oil on her. My sawyer could have been a rich man cause of some of
the ideas he had and did. We would work a woods with only a flat bed
truck and an old wc ac. No tracks, no lost young timber and easy to do.
Man those days where fun, for 3.00 per hour!
PS ever seen a doyle log scale?

--
		C-ya

		  Leroy Clark

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give."
            W.A. NANCE

better look here--- http://www.oldengine.org/members/lclark