[SEL] Sydney Rally

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Sep 21 05:34:13 PDT 2004

Sideshaft - typically the camshaft runs the "length" of the engine from
the crankshaft area up to the head/valve area. The cam is usually driven
by a worm gear or similar arrangement (to get the right-angle drive)
So rather than a long push rod mechanism, the cam runs the valve more or
less directly.
Side shaft because the shaft to run the valving runs along the side of the
engine.
More expensive to manufacture, better design.

Of course some nimnodes on eBay list their "horizontal shaft" B&S engines
as sideshaft engines, too! Geesh! Those are not sideshaft, they are quite
simply "horizontal crankshaft" or simply, horizontal shaft engines,
nothing special unless you are looking for a minibike or go-kart
engine......

Will get to your other message later - just found it - we get over 200 +
SPAMs a day now, and the filtering is less than ideal. Will be switching
to some anti-spam software soon. I have a bad feeling that we are losing a
lot of messages in the fray.

Bill