[SEL] Nat Rally

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 19:35:28 PDT 2004

Hi Reg,
I will get some numbers as to what we spend putting on our show at the
meeting next week. Usually is has been around $20,000 to $25,000. Some of
the costs attributed to the show are for things we use all year long, like
our insurance and fuel costs. Basically the vendor fees collected for swap
meet space pay to put on the show and the ticket sales to spectators and
our commission on the food vendors sales (15% of their declared gross
receipts) is all profit.
The one that got me was $20,000 for security. For years we never had any,
but then we started with one rent-a-cop on the days and two at night.
Still, it costs us less than $1,000 and we have had no problems at all
with theft, vandalism, etc.
$10,000 for portable toilets seems awful high. Maybe it is different here,
we clean them up and use them again and again!
Do they charge admission for spectators? Is there any money left after the
bills are paid? Where does it go?
As an officer in our club, I can tell you that the decisions on how and
where to spend money are scrutinised closely. We have a responsibility to
spend wisely. Sometimes that doesn't happen as good as it should, but the
need to get competitive prices on simular products is very important. How
do you know this organization is spending wisely? How and to whom are
these people accountable? These are important questions, and bear
answering.
I like to agitate. If I were you, I would go to this show as a spectator
and wear a sign on my back saying why I wasn't exhibiting. Since my
backside is substantially larger than yours, I could get a lot of detail
into those statements. Talk to exhibitors about it. Question authority.
Later, Mate!
Joe
--- Reg & Margaret Ingold <randmingold at hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> I have just read the latest comments in the NHMA rally newsletter.
> http://www.rbm.com.au/rally
> Using the figures given, THEIR cost will be $150 PER EXHIBIT shown, or,
> $375
> per exhibitor! For three days.
>
> (They have changed things to allow free entry for ONE family member but
> it
> seems that the other family members, ie, kids, will have to pay.)
>
> I find this somewhat beyond all reason.  Time for a major rethink in the
> way
> things are going.
> I wonder what the cost per exhibitor is at Portland? Barraboo? etc.
>
> As I dont think my stuff is worth this outlay by them, (added to the
> high
> cost of getting there). I wont bother taking anything to the event.
> Reg & Marg Ingold.
> Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
> randmingold at hotkey.net.au
> http://www.oldengine.org/members/randmingold