[SEL] ON TOPIC! XP Service pack 2

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Sep 6 17:29:51 PDT 2004

>>The update will  recognize Norton anti virus and firewall on it's
>>own.<<

Not all versions - it definitely won't recognize their corporate products
and I'm still checking some other versions.
It uses the wrong executable to look for and verify the corporate versions -
the morons at MS simply have no clue how other people's software works.
Geesh!
You must apply patches to the Symantec corporate versions for it to work
right.
The built-in Windows firewall is also pretty lame - I've found holes I could
drive a truck through. When using certain remote control and other software,
it simply opens up almost all ports.
I still will not use the Windows "firewall" and still recommend a 3rd party
firewall.

I'd recommend waiting for SP2 until the dust settles - some fixes are in
process we are told.

**** There are some GOOD things - they have resolved the address/url
spoofing issue with IE and IE now blocks pop-ups, however, that can be bad
as some sites rely on them - but it's easy to bypass even for beginners if
you need those popups on a particular site. So IE is a lot safer now. The OS
will now block incoming net traffic that it didn't request so no more
getting an infection before your antivirus and firewall load like it did in
the past. I won't get technical here but that is a HUGE advance and
improvement!! After

I've been testing this thing on 6 computers for 2 weeks or so - it's my job
(part of my new job)
It's thoroughly trashed a Dell notebook, we had to remove SP2 and then it
broke SP1 in the process. The notebook still isn't right. On the others, it
partially broke Symantec corporate antivirus until I disabled the firewall
in Windows.
There is an 18% failure rate, 11% of those being "critical" or to the point
the OS needed to be reloaded, 7% being minor - issues that could be resolved
but took a pro or some time. The download is 260 meg - not for dial-up!
Install at your own risk! 18% is a pretty high chance of you not having a
working computer.

I've got it on CD as a Microsoft developer deal.

Bill
(dealing with antivirus and security for over 15 years now)