[SEL] ON TOPIC! XP Service pack 2

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 4 21:17:27 PDT 2004

Hello all,

If you are reading this you are using a computer and I consider this on topic. Security is an issue and now and then we bring it up here for good reason.

I just did the service pack 2 for Windows XP tonight. Very time consuming all at once. My comments and recommendations below.

For most users wait a few weeks or so while things work out. This is not for the timid or average user. You need to run a spyware program such as Adaware first. If you don't have it get it and use it on a regular basis.

The update will  recognize Norton anti virus and firewall on it's own. Can't tell you if it's up to date and so far I haven't figured out if it can. It will warn you though. If you have a firewall you will have to turn off one or the other. Windows will turn theirs on by default even if you have one.  You have to turn it off to make the one you are using work or there will be a conflict. The XP firewall is marginal if you don't have one. Better than nothing.

You will have an irritation that tells you your system is not safe. Why? Because Micro$oft won't recognize the security that many are using. Most users should turn on the automatic update option, but I don't use it.

If you use Outlook for e-mail you will have to manually change your settings. Any and all attachments are blocked completely. You can't save them, open them, or look at them. This is done by default and you are never offered a choice.

I will pitch a bitch to Micro$soft about these issues as though they care. Makes me feel good though like mashing a printer. For now I don't recommend this update for the average user. I'll update on this if I think I need to.

Regards,

Jeff Allen
Arvada, Colorado USA

http://oldengine.org/members/allen/