[SEL] John Deere Fuel Tank/Oil Pan

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Mon Oct 25 18:45:44 PDT 2004

"Instant gasket" stuff (ie Blue RTV silcone) is a gasket maker.   The idea
is to use it OR use gaskets - not together.  When using gaskets, only use
gasket sealants.   I use Permetex's gasket sealant called "Hi-tack".  Its
purpose it to better seal the gasket (no weeping over time like you would
see if you installed it bare) and to hold the gasket in place during
assembly.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net

On 10/25/2004 at 6:59 PM Luke Tonneberger wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>On my 3hp John Deere the oil in the crankcase leaked into the fuel tank. I

>have it all torn apart and found the two little holes where the oil leaked

>from the crankcase down into the fuel tank. I have the holes welded up and

>the rest of the steel looks to be in really good shape. I am ready to put
>it
>all back together. I know I need to use some cork gasket to seal up the
>mating surfaces, but should I use permatex or some type of instant gasket
>stuff too? I only want to do this one time and don't want leaky gaskets.
>I'm sure there are a few John Deere owners out there that have done this
>before and I'm looking for a tried and true method for doing this.
Thanks.