[SEL] Can Launching

Steve Barr stevebarr at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 19 10:20:51 PDT 2004

I saw an excellent example of can launching this weekend.  A 3lb coffee
can (empty of course) was launched from a large hp engine at the show in
Delmont, PA.  This engine has a 10x10 BxS and is of a sideshaft varity.
It launched the can quite high and came down to land in the manure
spreader (used to move apple mash after being removed from the cider
press).  The owner will not be identified, to protect the feelings of the
manure spreader.  It was trully an excellent display of the power of these
engines.  Pics from the show can be seen at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/sbarr/ShowReports/2004Delmont.htm

I have launched plastic water bottles with ~1/2" of water in it for
ballast from my 10hp Challenge.  At a local showa year or two back, there
was a large field in front of us and a bunch of "troubled" students were
brought out.  They ended up playing 500 catch with me launching it.  A
great time was had by all that time.  I have not tried to launch pigeons
yet, but may next year.  Do they fly well after launch???

Steve