[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

diesel at easynet.co.uk diesel at easynet.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 08:09:09 PDT 2004

Quoting Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com>:

> Peter, we're required here in Montana to have chain(s).  I've seen one and
> two used.  The nice thing about two is that you can cross them and then hook
>
> them up.  If the hitch ever comes off the ball, the tongue will not dig into
>
> the ground. Course they have to be the right length.  I have been told that
> this is a requirement in some states, but can't reference it.
>
> Take Care,
> RickinMt.

I did notice that on a couple of rigs I saw over there this year, probably at
Tulare in April.

Because the European industry tends to rely on overrun braking systems and
break-away brake applications, there are no hard points provided for attaching
chains, although I did notice a small loop on the new van towbar.

The other option is to make a plate up with loops or hooks and bolt it between
the tow ball and the towbar. It's pretty unlikely that you'll lose a ball off
the bar, so I don't feel too uncomfortable about doing it that way. We don't
have a removable tow hitch as such, so the hard point for the ball is the actual
towbar rear face.

I prefer the idea of both breakaway and chains, it's just implementing them and
keeping safe at the same time. I've never had a trailer or caravan go awol yet,
and hope not to have to live through the experience! :-))

Peter
--

Peter Forbes
diesel at easynet.co.uk