[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Fri Oct 15 09:08:15 PDT 2004

Hi Peter,

When I last built a tandem axle trailer I put brakes on both axles.  I have
pulled some pretty heavy loads with this trailer and knowing I have brakes
on each axle is a comforting feeling.  Going down a long steep hill here in
the Ozarks with a load of wet sand I can use the trailer brakes to stop the
truck.  The trailer is all steel with 23" sides on a 5' x 10' frame.  The
point I really wanted to make is that safety chains are always a pain to
store when not in use.  I solved that problem by welding a link of chain on
each side of the tongue A frame back toward the trailer box at 90* to the
rail of the A frame.  This gives me a place to hook the S hook in for
storage.  This way the chains are up off the ground and not just wrapped
around the A frame arms.  They look neater and don't rust as bad.

Gary