[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

Prepair Ltd prepair at easynet.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 06:18:17 PDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:19:18 -0400, you wrote:

>>Any reason for the ewxemption for single-axle? is it based on lower gross
>>weight?
>It is regulated state by state, but here in PA (and I think the rest of the
>nation) anything under 3,000 lbs does not need brakes. I know a few people
>who have them on 3,000 lb trailers, but that's optional and not required by
>law.

But your vehicle gross weights are far higher for everyday pickups etc
than ours. Anything over 3500kg (3.5 metric tonnes) gross is classed
as a light truck (and handles like one!)

>> >PS, See: http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/trailer/trailer.html
>>
>>Had a look at that a few times since you put it up. Would like to get electric
>>brakes over here, but very few people carry them and they are not type
>>approved
>>as far as I can find out from retailers.
>>Peter
>
>I'd check with the governmental agency that is in charge of such things if
>I were you. Don't trust someone who does not carry the item to tell you the
>truth on their legality!
>         Dave

It is a fact, I checked the Construction & use reg's this week. Until
there is a volume demand for them, and they compete with overrun or
push brakes they won't sell them.

>PS, I haul my 15 HP Domestic (4,300 lbs. total weight) behind my F250
>without brakes on it. Don't take it real far--1,000 mi show is about the
>farthest I ever go with it. Probably should have brakes in it, but since
>it's a "dedicated trailer" there is no licence required for it, and thus no
>brakes are required.

I think we have a similar dispensation but only for driving hours
reg's, not for Construction & use etc.

Appreciate the feedback, Dave, many thanks.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK