[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Fri Oct 15 04:19:18 PDT 2004

>Any reason for the ewxemption for single-axle? is it based on lower gross
>weight?
It is regulated state by state, but here in PA (and I think the rest of the
nation) anything under 3,000 lbs does not need brakes. I know a few people
who have them on 3,000 lb trailers, but that's optional and not required by
law.

> >PS, See: http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/trailer/trailer.html
>
>Had a look at that a few times since you put it up. Would like to get electric
>brakes over here, but very few people carry them and they are not type
>approved
>as far as I can find out from retailers.
>Peter

I'd check with the governmental agency that is in charge of such things if
I were you. Don't trust someone who does not carry the item to tell you the
truth on their legality!
         Dave
PS, I haul my 15 HP Domestic (4,300 lbs. total weight) behind my F250
without brakes on it. Don't take it real far--1,000 mi show is about the
farthest I ever go with it. Probably should have brakes in it, but since
it's a "dedicated trailer" there is no licence required for it, and thus no
brakes are required.