[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 22:47:07 PDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:47:40 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>>I am just drawing up a new lightweight 2-axle trailer that will fit inside the
>>new van (with the drawbar removed)
>Why in the hell would you want to do that?

You've answered that one already, Dave, by reading the end of the post, but it's
worth pointing out that we have some pretty arcane reg's here in the UK, and
this gets round a lot of them for us.

>We, here in the USA generally use BOTH safety chains AND a break-a-way
>cable if we have breaks on our trailer. Single axle trailers (usually) do
>no have breaks.

Any reason for the ewxemption for single-axle? is it based on lower gross
weight?

>What the hell good is a 1500 lb. ton trailer? Here in the USA the lightest
>that we can licence is 3,000 lbs. If you have no brakes then use safety chains!

It seems small to you guys because you have much larger ratings and vehicles to
pull them. Over here, the average US F250 long wheelbase crewcab would be an
embarassment in some small towns and villages (but GREAT on the freeways!)

3/4 ton is quite useful in fact, as it covers the likes of Arnie's Fat Bastard
engine and trailer for example, but we also have a 2.6 tonne trailer that we use
for bigger stuff. To go any higher would need something different in the way of
towing vehicle.

>I now understand why you want it to fit in your van!

Yup, that's a big incentive :-)0

>>Peter
>         Dave
>PS, See: http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/trailer/trailer.html

Had a look at that a few times since you put it up. Would like to get electric
brakes over here, but very few people carry them and they are not type approved
as far as I can find out from retailers.

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes
Email Address: