[SEL] Re: How to lube old engines?

Rick I. rdi at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 9 15:38:32 PDT 2004

"Leroy C." <oldengin at udata.com> follows up:
> You engin[e] is a four stroke
> model and you should not need two cycle oil in the fuel??????????  Your
> piston will get it's oil, ...

On the Taylor Vacuum Engine, the piston is very unusual- it is "stepped" and
has two different diameters to it... the "front" half is smaller (and is for
power), while the "back" half is much larger (used for the built-in vacuum
pump).  It's pretty neat.  The reason that you need to add oil to the gas is
that the Type C only has ONE oiler, and it's only over the "back" half of
the piston.  There's no drips falling on the smaller front half.
The Taylor Engine owner's manual says: "LUBRICATION--NOTICE  Mix from 1/4 to
1/2 a pint of cylinder oil with each gallon of gasoline used, the amount of
oil required depending upon the quality used, as well as the speed of the
engine and climatic conditions."  It seems that the oil mixed with the gas
is the only way the front half of the piston will get lubricated.  This is
only for the Taylor engine; as you said, "normal" 4 cycle engines don't need
oil in the fuel.  When I yank the piston (skirt has a crack that needs
re-welding), I'll be sure to take a photo of this piston to share.

-Rick I., figuring stuff out near Rochester, NY