[SEL] How to lube old engines?

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Oct 8 12:47:23 PDT 2004

Quite interesting - I'd like to hear the details as I've had some of these
engines, and thus the mags, for going on 30 years.
I oil ever-so-lightly just enough to keep the right parts moist with oil,
and these are some very reliable engines (and thus the mags, except for
the junk Bosch).
The mag on the Alamo has not been apart since 1979 and still will start
that engine whenever I attempt it - and I keep it oiled lightly.
Same for the Lindsay-Alamo, the JD, of course, it's sort of self-oiling!
It's hot as well, since 1980.
I typically didn't oil the Sumpter on the FM very often as it's difficult
to do, so the ends and bushings are well worn.

Maybe the advice is aimed to those who believe that since a little oil is
good, a lot is better, and don't know when to stop, so are advised simply
"never"??

Dunno, but the ones I have all have provisions to oil, and I've always
taken advantage of those provisions according to the same practices I use
on sewing equipment and quilting machines -  so maybe I'd ruined several
expensive mags over the last 1/4 century.

Maybe Bill or Ted will explain - could be an excellent adventure.......

I'd sure like to know if I'm ruining mags - can't afford to do that!

Bill